Thursday, July 12, 2007

Oncology massage


A few months ago my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her surgery was set for a couple of weeks later. Trying to think of a thoughtful gift that might cheer her up in advance of her surgery, I called Elizabeth Arden's Red Door spa location in Baltimore, which is where my friend and her family now lives. Turned out that the spa was a mere few blocks from her home! I quickly had them FedEx a gift certificate for a massage for her; if I were in her shoes that would be exactly what my inner doctor would have ordered.

I told a mutual friend what I’d done. This friend spent no time mincing words, for she is also a 10-years-clean cancer survivor. (I know! What’s with all this cancer??) “She can’t have a massage!" she cried. "It’s very dangerous! It could spread the cancer!"

Oy! I hadn’t thought of that. I felt like one of those embarrassing relatives who can be counted on to act inappropriately by constantly saying and doing exactly the wrong thing. So I contact Red Door and told them to nix the massage and make it for a facial instead. (Fortunately (?), they hadn't even sent out the gift certificate, even though it was already supposed to have been delivered. . .)

But then I wondered, Might a a facial be bad, too? When I called the first time I'd specifically told the receptionist it was for a cancer patient and she didn't seem to know it was a no-no. Maybe it was bad. I never found out if my friend used the facial gift certificate. She's got bigger concerns right now.

Well, it looks like things are finally looking up for cancer patients massage-wise. There is now what’s called the Oncology Massage. Therapists are trained explicitly on safe massage techniques, nonharmful applications of massage styles for those with active cancer, those in remission or those in treatment. (The link above specializes in this massage technique; it would behoove us all to research carefully before booking for yourself or loved ones.)

I think this new massage technique is just great. I can only imagine the level of stress that a cancer patient lives with. And, I believe—and there are many studies to back this up—that your state of mind is integral to beating the C-beast.

I’m going to start doing some homework on spas that include this offering. Hope it doesn’t sound morbid, but I might find myself needing the info again soon. Fingers crossed that I won’t.

5 comments:

superbadfriend said...

I don't think it is morbid at all, but extremely thoughtful of you to take such care in making a decision to make your friend feel comfortable. I bet women with cancer across the board would love to know about this technique. You are awesome Rosebud.

love jess

PS I am writing from work and am stealth today!

superbadfriend said...

ohhh looks like I am not Stealth afterall. heehe!

Glenn said...

Hi Rose,

Great post. During my massage training year, we did talk about cancer patients. It was mentioned that it may be a contra-indication, but not necessarily. We didn't do remedial or lymphatic training, but I was encouraged to see that there are massage options for people fighting cancer. Good on you for bringing focus on the topic.

Cancer Bitch said...

Hi Rose,
I'm having my first cancer massage at Thousand Waves this week. It has a special program for women w/ cancer and I assume they know what they're doing.
--Cancer Bitch

Rose said...

Oh, how you've got to love a girl named cancer bitch. And I really love Thousand Waves, too, so I think you're in good hands. Enjoy, spunky.