Monday, July 23, 2007

Just when you're ready to get down to it

Today I’ve been having a hard time focusing. First I’ve been trading emails and phone calls from spa people who live in far-flung places like Bali, the Maldives and Singapore. But we keep missing each other because where they’re at it’s already tomorrow. Double insult: Can’t be there. Can’t make contact with “there.”

This morning my inbox had emails from people saying yes, they’d love to talk to me, setting a time for two hours before I was even up to read their email. There’s an 11-hour difference and basically our worlds are flipped upside down. So I’ve been leaving messages on cell phones, contacting publicists, saying I’ll call tomorrow. Must go to bed early and be ready to sound cogent and chatty about the spa industry at 6 AM.

When I get like this, and I’m in front of my computer (and no one else is around to hear me), I go to the Sai Baba web site and click on the Sai Gayatri Mantra and listen to it, like, incessantly as a backdrop. It’s wonderful. I’ve tried to download it but, though there are many, many versions, none are like the one on Sai Baba’s site and that one is not download-able. There are only about three verses and the female voice is just so hypnotic. Better than a fast shot of whiskey—as if I drank whiskey—to unbend the addled mind. So on my way to the website I thought that I’d get put the link on my blog today so as to share the found peace. It would also satisfy the need for a blog post for the day, weary me rationalized. Well, the dang web site is down temporarily. But that’s not going to stop me from giving you Sai Baba’s web link. It should be back up soon.

And also this quote, which I believe comes from Charlotte Rampling, the gifted, gorgeous English actor. I wrote down the quote on a little scrap of paper, which I seem to have kept for at least five years. Here goes y’all:

“No matter how you feel, you have to act like you are very popular with yourself; very relaxed and purposeful; very unconfused and not like you are walking through the sunshine singing in chains.”

Good day from me Charlotte and Sai Baba.

3 comments:

Graham Ettridge said...

Firstly, I would like to compliment you on your blog. It is most enjoyable and very interesting.

You have got me curious about the Sai Gayatri Mantra. I would truly love to listen to it. Please can you let me know the web address.

Best wishes ~ Graham

superbadfriend said...

Thank you Rose.

:-)

lovexo

Graham Ettridge said...

Just a lil message to say a big thank you for mailing me the addy for the Sai Gayatri Mantra.

I attended a course of sessions with a buddhist monk a couple of years ago (12 weeks of 3hr sessions each week). Not only did the kind man provide me with a wonderful introduction to transient meditation, he also helped me put many aspects of my life back into perspective. Listening to the Sai Gayatri Mantra brought back many comforting memories of my time with the Buddhist Monk. Thank you again ~ Graham