Friday, July 20, 2007

The Dead Sea, poorly named but with redeeming qualities



Out of the blue I thought about the Dead Sea yesterday. No idea where it came from, except that I’d been in the Dead Sea, which is actually a lake, in 1997 when I visited Israel. I’d heard so much about how, because of the high salt content, you can sit in the water like you would an armchair and be buoyant enough to read the newspaper without getting it wet. You’ve seen the pictures like the one on the left, no doubt.

They don’t tell you how oily and skanky the warm water is. I had a minor freak out when I first got in; there were so many dead bugs floating around me and, since the water is not the clearest, I kept thinking god-knows-what is under there. Fish and other aquatic plant organisms can’t survive but microbial fungi and bacteria can. But I was determined to float and I did, alà BarkOlounger, though sans newspaper—they were all in Hebrew anyway! (I was there the day Diana died in the car accident and I went crazy trying to get details in the press, though, fortunately most people on the street spoke English.)

I also did the mud baths. You know, everyone slathers him and her self with mud and then takes pictures to show back home. Except that like most vacation photos when you excitedly try to get friends to looks at them there’s always that I-guess-you-had-to-be-there moment.

I did the same thing when I was in Sicily with my family and we took a day trip to the volcanic island of Lipari and threw ourselves into the sulphur baths. We looked like ghosts in the photos and smelled like match sticks for a week. Big fun.

So what are the health benefits of these DIY treatments? Research suggests that as for the Dead Sea, between the high mineral content in the water, the absence of pollens and allergens in the dry atmosphere, the solar radiation that emits reduced levels of UV and high atmospheric pressure can all have salutary effects on respiratory conditions and even cystic fibrosis. So without actually going there, do those packaged Dead Sea Salts have any benefit on skin conditions? Maybe, but I’m betting on as much.

When I was visiting Israel, I saw nothing that looked remotely like a spa (though I could have missed it). Today, however, there are several to choose from. This one, which calls itself The Living Dead Sea looks nice. Anyone every been?

5 comments:

superbadfriend said...

I have always wanted to go. Dang Rosebud, you are proly one of the coolest people I know!

:-)

Glenn said...

Hi Rose,

I'd love to try the Dead Sea, but sounds pretty icky! I was wondering about the healing powers of this mud just the other day during a mud wrap. I'm not sure how much the healing properties travel... How about you?

Rose said...

Andrew,

That's an interesting question, which I too wonder about. I don't know if they export mud from the Dead Sea but you often see Dead Sea salts. And you wonder. . I remember once having a Mud Moor Cocoon at a spa owned by a very nice Irish woman. She said it was moor peat that comes from the bogs of Ireland. Was it? I can't know for sure. Geography does make a difference in the healing properties. It wouldn't be the same if I dug up some dirt from my backyard. That is, if I had an actual backyard!

Rose said...

Jess,

You're pretty cool too. I hear you're going to be planting trees in Costa Rica soon!

superbadfriend said...

Aww thanks Rose. :-) I have been needing to call. We are back on "the project"

Oh yes Costa Rica! My friend Gina and I are planning the trip, you are more than welcome to join our quest. Gina is at the tail end of finishing a book and loved the idea of planting trees. I will send you the link. Of course I wasn't expecting my passport to expire THIS MONTH. Argh. I swear I thought I had more months left on it. LOL

Oh, have you checked the new Whole Foods On Halsted? FABULOUS!