Thursday, February 14, 2008

Touch Yourself This Valentine’s Day


Not having a partner shouldn’t exclude you from getting your fair share of The Touch. Strong, able hands are available to soothe your aches and pains as well your heart. For that matter being strapped for cash shouldn’t be a deal breaker either.

I’m talking here about massage, but in this case it’s self-massage and I'm not the only one advocating it.

People tend to get all stressed out about what to do on Valentine’s Day, and non-partnered people tend to get a double dose of that stress. Hooked up or not, it’s enough to make you need a massage.

The inspiration for this blog is a neighbor I had years ago. He was single—and a little creepily, he was always looking for sympathy because of it. But there was this one thing that he did that I came to believe was a sign of healthy self-nurturing: he’d give himself massages. I thought it was weird at first but then I tried it myself. He’d cross his left arm over his torso to his right and begin kneading the side of his neck. Then he would move down to the always-knotty shoulder muscles and focus there. He could easily manage deltoids, bi- and triceps, the forearms and hands. And then he’d do it all over on the other side.

Legs and feet are easy to get to too. And who can’t do with a good belly massage after a meal? It’s a great aid for good digestion.

The thing about self-massage is that you’re in complete control of the amount of pressure you receive. You also know how to zero in on the exact spot that needs the most attention. You can use classic Swedish style or incorporate some shiatsu or acupressure.

There are lots of props you can use, too. I’m sure you’ve seen those self-massagers made of wood. They resemble a three-dimensional image of planet constellations a là your high school science project. Do they work? I find them a little cumbersome but you may not.

Tennis balls, for the bottoms of your feet are great. Just have a seat and roll that puppy under the sole of your foot. Be careful not to apply too much pressure and that you don’t do it too long. I got a foot cramp once. Tennis balls are also great for neck massages. Just put one inside a regular gym sock, place it on the floor and then carefully position the center of your neck over it. Now roll it around. Feels great.

Feel free to pass on any self-massage tips that work for you. And have a happy, stress-free Valentine’s Day!

4 comments:

Ferd said...

I think I'll try it. But first I have to download a copy of "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls. That might make it more fun! ; )

chase said...

Massages mean to me one thing and one thing only: relaxation. To that end I'd bought several books promoting self-massages. For some reason I just don't seem to get the hang of it. With hang I mean, the relaxing effect. I can stroke, knead, pull etc my hand, feet, back, arms, shoulders etc all I want, I just doesn't work for me. What does work better is a hatha yoga class, with added benefits of massaging you inner organs. the other thing I noticed is that i just love massage beds- the professional ones. I get engulfed with the feeling of relaxation as soon as I mount a massage bed, or anything resembling one. This has unwanted side effects; the other day I climbed the dentist year- he has a new one- all white a clean. I relaxed into the chair, closed my eyes, opened my mounth and left 30 mins in quite a different mood. collaterate damage of my massage chair fetish.

Anonymous said...

I think self massage is great, alhtough it can be limiting to certain parts of the body if you really want to get a deep tissue massage. I find the biggest challenge is taking the time for myself to do it. I tend to get distracted by other things when I am in my own space.

ace said...

for painless and extensive procedures, try it out drnumb anesthetic cream. it works for me.
www.drnumb.com