Saturday, June 16, 2007

Go Deep


Have you ever had a colonic? If not, think of the last time you had diarrhea because it’s a sneak preview of one. A therapist forcing a steady stream of warm water in and out of your intestinal tract for 20 to 45 minutes isn’t how most of us like to use our free time, but the pesticides, mucous and petrified food languish in your intestines, sometimes for years, is a great motivator. The worst offenders are the unreleased toxins that get stored in the fat cells. Sure, we hate the idea of all that rot in our guts. But it’s the promise of losing poundage that drive many onto our backs and spread-eagled while a stranger sticks a hose up our rectums.

When I need it, I put my lower half in the hands of Partners in Wellness www.gutwisdom.com. This place has primo cred and a reputation for good bedside manners, which is key since most of us feel spooked and idiotic our first time for choosing such defilement. (If you don’t live in Chicago, you can pick up the book “Gut Wisdom” written by owner Alyce Sorokie, which is about understanding and improving digestive health.)

My friendly hydrotherapist Noreen gets down to business with all the nonchalance of a manicurist about to clip some nails. Into my rectum she inserts a hygienic speculum, which is attached to a hose connected to a multigallon bottle of water that flows into the colon and out into the “evacuation” tube. Fun times. For those with scatological inclinations, the hose is made of clear plastic so you can actually watch a play by play of what your body is evacuating. Good times. If you can’t get yourself to look, no problem. Hydrotherapists tend to offer enthusiastic second-hand descriptions of what’s coming out, like Noreen did for me. According to her, except for a few “productive” surges, I am apparently one gassy girl.

Once you're unhooked, you will run to the toilet—where you will stay for at least 15 minutes—and likely then to the scale. Once I unburdened my colon of almost two pounds. The second best part of the experience is the warm “Belly Buddy,” pillow, an invention of Sorokie’s, to take the edge off the gurgly intensity of the procedure.

10 comments:

Glenn said...

Hi Rose,

Wow! That sounds like a difficult treatment, but one worth doing. Do you know of any practitioners in Australia? I managed to find one in the north, but I live in the south.

How often should you have this treatment?
Regards,Andrew.

superbadfriend said...

Hmmm. I am starting a cleanse by Blessed Herbs in the next few weeks. If you really wanna see what comes out of ya I dare you to go to the website blessedherbs.com and look for the "view our photos" section.

I warned you! heehee.

:-)

Rose said...

Hi Andrew,

Here's the link to an Australian Colonic Therapy Association.
http://www.acha.com.au/

They should be able to hook you up-- if you'll excuse the implications of that colloquialism.

Spadette

Rose said...

Hi Jessie,

You're on. I love a dare. I'll check blessedherbs out--after I eat my breakfast! Or am I best off eating before looking? Hey, this could be it's own kind of colonic: get so grossed out that you don't eat . . .much, and watch the pounds disappear. Kidding, sort of.

superbadfriend said...

Uh, wait till after breakfast. Yuu may never wanna eat again after seeing what is trapped in your intestines. Ugh. I am feeling nauseas

Glenn said...

Thanks for this Oz info. I'll check out their website.

I'll also post a link to your blog on my site! Keep up the great blogging.

Glenn said...

Hi Jessie and Rose,

Wow! I checked out the Blessed Herbs photos. How gross and how exciting at the same time!! I would like to try this out (I think!). Thanks for the info.

Rose said...

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the shout on your blog! I'm glad you wrote because you asked how often to have colonics. I know my lady Noreen has one weekly but they're all scat-crazy. Once a month should do it, but talk to your people when you sked your appointment. We're all waiting to hear about your experience.

Rose said...

Jess,

Well, blessedherbs does keep it real, don't they? Must gag now.

Emily Suess said...

Sign me up!