Monday, May 28, 2007

We're no angels


When I was covering spas as a magazine health and wellness editor, I had this idea that we needed to write a spa "bill of rights" story. Of course the International Spa Association has had an official "code of ethics" for a long time. But I wanted something more specific and pointed. So I assigned it to one of my favorite freelancers at the time, the only one I knew who could get what I was after.

The story got a great response. It was funny, shocking and educational. So I followed up with a story that allowed the spa owners their chance to respond and rebut. Well. Boy. Turns out we're no angels when we walk into spas, either. I doubt that it's intentional--though one massage therapist reported that a guy got a hard on and, um, talked to her about it. But even she reported that that kind of behavior is rare indeed. But I heard stories about people insisting on keeping, and answering cell phones during sessions; others who arrived unbathed, smelly and with dirt crusty feet; and others whose mood would have been better suited to visiting a NASCAR race, or the roller derby.

What's that about? I think it's about a lack of knowledge on what constitutes being a good spa goer. After researching and writing that story my perspective changed a lot. I started feeling like these people were our true heroes, tasked with providing the most nurturing of experiences for us, sometimes with little in the way of return. (Think parenting an obnoxious and self-centered teenager.) That story made me realize that the spa door swings both ways.

2 comments:

Trence said...

Great blob, keep writing! An fyi - most guys get aroused during a massage. The more the body relaxes...well, it's a guy thing. A well trained therapist knows this is common - so relax guys. But do keep in mind there is no reason to make a point about it.

Rose said...

Hi Trence,

That must be embarrassing! Thanks for the insight. And you're right, don't make a "point" about it. Ha.